sprinkle cake from zoe's dohl
ok. hi. so this post is super late, even by my standards. stranger things, the olympics, back to work, and a bazillion other things happened, but I'M HERE! please keep reading. <3 <3 <3
zoe's 14 months now! WHAT? my weekly posts became monthly posts, now whenever i have time posts. :)))))))))))))
1. she walks. actually, runs. she's so amazing, i can't get over how agile she is.
2. she talks. like a lot. i started writing down all of the words she says, here are the weirdest, cutest things she says:
"hot dog" (from mickey mouse club house, not bc that's what i feed her...all the time.)
"ham-mi ha-bi" (baby versions of grandma and grandpa in krn.)
"mimi" "minnie" "mina mina mina" "mickey" (all used for either minnie or mickey)
"ubbuh!!!!" (when she yells at my mom to give her a piggyback ride)
"night night" (when she's ready to sleep. woohooooo!!!!!)
3. i went back to work last week and its a new kind of difficult from when i went back to work after maternity leave. loved watching her grow these past two months. but interacting with adults during the day is also refreshing. my mom, who's still watching her, called me today while i was in a meeting and asked when i was coming home in the same tone i called jake every day of the summer. exhausted, kinda crazy, and zoe yelling/crying/screaming in the background. she's a rockstar. zoezoe is so lucky.
4. the olympics!!! love the olympics, but after about 10 straight days, i didn't want to say it aloud bc i kind of felt like i was cheating on the olympics, but i was ready to watch something else (part time), so naturally, i started watching FNL again (insert jake's eyeroll). anywayyyyy in thinking about the olympics, zoe has big feet, big hands, long legs, and curly hair (i don't think this will help in any sport)...i wonder if she'll be an olympian one day...
5. so some people may know this, but i kinda, sorta shop (shopped) a lot. some may say excessively. but ever since i had zoe, actually, since i was pregnant, i haven't really shopped a lot (meaning clothes). so when i went to the mall and actually spent like a total of 200 bucks on clothes, my cc company freaked out and put a hold on my account!!! like i could spend 1000$ at target or costco and there wouldn't be an alert, but someone must have stole my cc because anything other than babyfood, mac n cheese, and tshirts w peppa pig on it seems suspicious. HAHAHAH myyyyyyyy how my life has changed.
6. i finally bought an essential oils diffuser. i wanted to get into oils when i was pregnant so i can do all the amazing hippydippy stuff for zoe, but i only got so far as buying one vile and used it once, incorrectly. anyway, so this diffuser!!! i don't know how effective it is on sleep or stress, but it makes the house smell like a spa and i ain't mad at that!
7. im THINKING about going gluten free again. but bagels are a regular part of my diet and i don't know if my body can stomach gluten substitute anything.....okkkk so i think i just decided its not going to work out. bagels. bagels. bagels.
8. so after years of having "brilliant ideas" or thinking of "inventions" if you will, my cousin and i are starting a small, like really small, business together!! more details to come soon!!!
9. a friend recently reminded me that i was so anti-hillary years ago. i forgot all about that. i actually called myself an "anti-feminist." i don't really know what i meant by that. i used to think that people needed to just stop complaining about life and just deal with things. like, i used to say "ummmmm i don't need everything to be equal....i dont wanna get drafted into the army if there is a war!!" and other shit like that. since then, life happened. i learned. teaching and having a baby girl has changed so much of my perspectives on equality, equity, feminism, social justice, and countless other things i never knew i didn't know. this is year 9 of teaching and year 1 of being a mom. excited to learn and unlearn more things.
10. the story about emily choi was a reminder that "everyday is a gift" or "tomorrow is not guaranteed to us" or "life is fragile" are not cliche, they're all so excruciatingly true. like so many other people, jake and i were so broken over the passing of this precious child (whom we did not know). to try to empathize with this family was lost on us, so we prayed for them and cried for them. thank you, choi family for sharing your story with us. we will not forget emily.
photos (for some reason, i can't get them to transfer in high resolution) of zoe's dohl and life from the past 2 months
my parents were like, ummm aren't you forgetting someone in your photo?????
i love how happy jake looks here
first bite of donut. she didn't like it. she will learn.
(i just realized i posted this photo before, but seeing it twice isn't hurtin anybody)
how we do things around here
acai bowl aftermath
sharing w mimi
hanging out (invading space) with darra
the look of pure satisfaction
we gave in and bought one!
best way to get dishes done
at a splash pad in cerritos
making more of a mess than eating
her dirty feet from walking around barefoot at a birthday party.
decorations: Yoonie Kim
photos: Marianne Andres
donut print: Jessica Park
donuts: california donuts